April 18, 2013
(StatePoint) Shopping for Mother’s Day? You’ll want to match the perfect gift to her unique interests and personality.
A recent study commissioned by the daily deal website Groupon, and conducted by Research Now, found that the majority of shoppers say finding the right gift for Mom is the most stressful part of Mother’s Day.
But according to some experts, it’s not hard to meet your mother’s elevated expectations on her big day:
“These days, it’s easier than ever to go above and beyond for Mom,” says Heidi Stubler, a gift-giving expert at Groupon. With over 200 million subscribers worldwide, Stubler sees a wide variety of shopping trends.
Stubler offers some insider tips on scoring great gifts without hassle:
• New flavors: A night out at a restaurant your mom has never tried is thoughtful, yet surprisingly easy. Many deal sites offer a variety of local restaurant deals every day that won’t break the bank.
• Tradition: If you’re getting Mom flowers, don’t wait until the last minute. You’ll end up paying a premium for a picked over bouquet. Instead, order online in advance. You’ll have more time to spend with your mom and may end up saving money. Daily deal sites often offer deep discounts on flowers, especially around holidays like Mother’s Day.
• A new experience: Not all gifts come wrapped. Has Mom wanted to try yoga or learn to make jewelry? Consider giving her the motivation she needs to get started on a new hobby by signing her up for a class. And you can maximize your quality time by taking the class together.
• Donate: For moms who already have everything, consider a gift that’s more meaningful than another boring bathrobe. Make a donation in her name to a favorite charity, or look online for a local cause. For example, Groupon Grassroots showcases a variety of community projects, making it easy to search for one you’d both be happy to support.
• Old hobby, new tool: For book lovers, consider a small, lightweight e-reader. The text size is customizable on most devices, making it an especially good choice for older moms who may not enjoy lugging around heavy books or reading fine print. Also, let your mom know she can access most local library collections with her device and can check out books electronically via a Wi-Fi connection without having to make the trip to the library.
• Simply the best: Even if you’re on a budget, you can find designer goods at an affordable price. Do some digging online for deals on shoes, clothing and jewelry.
• S.O.S.: In addition to offering excellent deals, daily deal sites can provide great ideas and insight into what’s hot and convenient. Get inspiration by using free tools like Groupon’s online gift finder. The gift finder at www.Groupon.com/gifts asks you three simple questions about your mom and offers plenty of ideas based on your responses.
Between mothers, stepmothers, grandmothers, and wives, don’t let shopping for those special ladies be cause for alarm. With the right strategies, you can find the perfect present.
Photo Credit: (c) Barry Austin Photography - Getty Images