Last updated: September 08. 2013 6:53AM - 38 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A Sedalia woman was left without a home Tuesday following a fire, authorities said.

Firefighters were called the 310 E. Saline St. home of Mildred Knox at 2 p.m. Tuesday, said Inspector Richard Satterwhite with the Sedalia Fire Department.

“There was just some smoke coming from the roof area,” when engines arrived, Satterwhite said. “The downstairs was still clear.”

Firefighters covered the downstairs portion with salvage cloths and climbed onto the roof to battle the blaze, he said. Kitchen ceilings were pulled as emergency workers fought a “lot of hidden fires,” Satterwhite said.

It took about an hour before the fire was extinguished, Satterwhite said, and the house was likely not livable.

“By the time it was done, there was extensive damage to the structure,” he said.

An electrical fire that started in the wall and spread to the attic caused the blaze, the inspector said. Firefighters left the home at 4:48 p.m.

Knox, who rented the house from owner Judy Jones, was at home at the time of the fire but managed to get out, Satterwhite said. She had insurance and left with her son, he said.

A firefighter fell and hurt his back but was not taken to the hospital and remained on duty, Satterwhite said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Sedalia Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com