(NAPSI)—Your four-footed friends could benefit from your taking four important steps to keep your pets in peak condition.
1. See the vet for regular checkups. Dogs and cats age faster than humans. They can grow up—and grow old—almost before you know it. Regular wellness exams let your veterinarian diagnose, manage and protect against potential health problems before they become serious.
Common health screenings recommended by the American Veterinary Medical Association include:
• Parasite check
• Heartworm check
• Dental health exam
• Blood panel
• Chemistry panel
• Osteoarthritis check
• Chest radiograph
• Thyroid check
• Blood pressure check.
Since cats have a tendency to hide illness, cat owners may not realize there’s a problem without regular wellness exams.
2. Don’t let your pet have a fat chance of being fit. Obesity is a big health risk for pets.
3. Exercise their right to exercise. Dogs should get at least 20 minutes of exercise a day. Play with your cats often to keep them moving.
4. Keep their joints supple. Common signs of a joint problem include:
• Reluctance to climb stairs
• Falling behind on walks
• Difficulty getting up in the morning or after a nap
• Personality change
• Reluctance to jump
• Less prowling and chasing of prey
• Lying around the house more often
• Dislike of stroking, particularly of the back or tail
• No longer seeking affection or other personality change.
Fortunately, a solution to joint health that veterinarians have been prescribing for many years is now available in Walmart, Pet-Smart and Petco. Just as with humans, joint supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin can ease some pain by helping to support and protect cartilage. Cosequin is the original researched brand, scientifically formulated to support and help maintain the health of pets’ joints and connective tissue. It is also the only glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate supplement that has been shown safe, effective and absorbable in peer-reviewed, published, controlled, U.S. veterinary studies. It’s manufactured by Nutramax Laboratories, Inc. following standards similar to those practiced by the pharmaceutical industry.
If you’d like more information, visit the company’s website at www.nutramaxlabs.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)