Submit an Obituary
Family members may work with their funeral home or may place their own Full Obituary in the Sedalia Democrat. Alternatively, a basic Death Notice may be placed by the funeral home.
- The Democrat publishes Death Notices at no charge as a community service. Free Death Notices are intended for people who live or previously lived in the Sedalia area.
- Free Death Notices are accepted from the funeral home handling the arrangements and contain only the following information:
- Name, age, city of residence, date of death, city & state of death, place and time of service, name of mortuary.
- Deadline for death notices is 4:30 p.m. for the next day's paper.
- For families who desire a more complete story, a Full Obituary is available for a fee and may include a photo. Full Obituaries are paid advertisements and generally may include any information the family thinks appropriate. Placement of a Full Obituary is a service that is usually provided by the funeral director assisting the family. Full Obituaries placed by family members must be confirmed by an established funeral home.
Guidelines for Full Obituaries
- The Democrat accepts Full Obituaries, memorials and life tributes as paid notices. We also accept Full Obituaries in Spanish.
- The cost for Full Obituaries is $12.50 per column inch. Each inch includes approximately seven lines. A basic half-column photo is $10. A full-column photo is $15.
- American Flag insignias are free for veterans. Additional insignias (cross, bible, praying hands, Star of David, Rotary logo, etc.) are available for $5 each. Prices do not include the additional space allocated for each item.
- Obituaries may be run more than one day. For each subsequent issue there is a 50% discount.
- All Full Obituaries include a 30-day listing and guest book on our website, www.sedaliademocrat.com. Visitors can view the obituary, enter condolences in the guestbook or add a video tribute. All Full Obituaries will contain the following tagline: "Please sign the guestbook at www.sedaliademocrat.com"
- The deadline is 4:30 PM for the next day's paper. Deadline for Sunday and Monday papers is 4:30 PM Friday. Deadline for obituaries in Spanish is one day earlier.
- All Full Obituaries are pre-paid unless submitted by the funeral home. We do not send bills for these notices. We accept all major credit cards, checks, and cash.
You may place an obituary in one of the following ways
- In person: Weekdays between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM at The Sedalia Democrat, 700 S. Massachusetts, Sedalia MO 65301.
- By e-mail: Send the notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the name and phone number of the funeral home and your name and phone number so we can contact you for payment. Please do not submit your credit card information by e-mail!
- By phone or fax: Please call 660-826-1001 and a representative will coordinate the process with you.
- Photographs may be black and white or color and must be 8x10 or smaller. If e-mailed, photos must be in a .jpg format and included as an attachment.