Suggestions for Writing an Obituary
There is no format to follow or form to fill out. Simply state what you would like to say for the obituary or memorial tribute. As you remember a life with significant details, remember the accomplishments, talents and special memories of the person who has died.
Some things to include in the obituary:
- Always start with the person's full name, age, and date of death. Include the city where the person died.You may tell how the person died.
- Tell when and where the person was born and include the names of their parents. Describe where and when the deceased was married.
- Give a detailed life history including the person's occupation or vocation. This may be the person's job or career, including service in the military and work in the home.
- Describe the person's activities, such as clubs, churches, organizations, sororities, hobbies, volunteer work or education. If the deceased was in school full time, say they were a student and list the school name. If the deceased was a volunteer, write about their volunteer work, such as the organizations where they volunteered, for how long, what they contributed. If the deceased owned a business, include the business name and years in business.
- Recognize survivors, including immediate family members like spouse, sons, daughters, stepsons, stepdaughters, adopted sons, adopted daughters, parents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters, companion, grandparents, (great and great-great, if applicable). You may include where survivors live, names of their spouses or in-laws.
- You may also list family members who preceded the deceased and the year they died.
- Give details on the services. This can include visitation, rosary, religious service, memorials and burial services. If there are multiple services, you may list them all. You may also list pallbearers and any special ceremonies.
- List any organizations and address where memorial contributions in honor of the deceased can be sent.
- Be very careful to check the spelling of names, towns and the times of the services to ensure accuracy.