Log in

No charges in Memorial Day shooting on Broadway


No charges will be filed against Sedalia Police Department officers involved in the fatal shooting of a suspect who fled on West Broadway Boulevard over Memorial Day weekend.

The announcement comes after a months-long investigation into the incident by the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at the request of Sedalia Police Chief Matt Wirt. According to an SPD news release, the department cooperated with the investigation, turning over all evidence, videos, reports, and statements to MSHP investigators.

MSHP presented its investigation to Pettis County Prosecuting Attorney Phillip Sawyer in late August for review. After assessment of the incident, no charges or wrongdoing were found against SPD officers during the investigation or the prosecutorial review.

“These situations are difficult for everyone involved; the Sedalia Police Department would like to thank the community for their patience, cooperation, and support,” the news release states. “An impartial investigation and a legal review confirmed SPD acted within the law, doing what was necessary to stop the threat to the public. We will continue to work within the law to protect and serve the citizens of this community in the utmost professional manner.”

Around 6:18 p.m. Sunday, May 29, the SPD got a call of an armed man, 22-year-old Masen T. Moore, at a home in the 700 block of West Broadway Boulevard. According to the SPD news release, the reporting party stated Moore had a gun and was making them feel unsafe, as he was harassing residents at their location. 

Moore was facing a five-year stint in prison for a felony parole violation, among other warrants, which meant he was prohibited from possessing a firearm.

Officers arrived at the residence and after a white male matching the suspect’s description fled on foot, officers established a perimeter to contain him. They attempted to make contact with Moore by giving verbal commands and searched the area with a police K9. 

The release states that during the search, Moore came out of hiding and ran north, crossing Broadway Boulevard between Prospect and Stewart avenues. Moore fired three rounds at officers. Officers took cover to prevent being struck by the shots and tried to stop crossing traffic to prevent motorists from being shot. In addition, officers tried to warn neighbors to go back inside their residences and seek a safe place; several neighbors told the Democrat after the shooting that they had heard several gunshots. 

Officers gave Moore another verbal command, but he crossed Broadway and took up a position against officers. The release states he fired two more shots at police when an officer with a patrol rifle fired one shot at Moore to stop the threat. Officers then cautiously approached Moore, secured him and the weapon, and rendered medical aid. 

Moore was transported by the Pettis County Ambulance District to Bothwell Regional Health Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

The MSHP investigation indicated Moore fired a total of five shots.